Monday 23 September 2013

Interview: Melvin Abia On Combining Music Production And Education...

Click for Full Image Size

The explosion in the Nigerian Music industry in recent times has given rise to many young people going into the internationally recognised industry.

Sunday Telegraph met with Melvin Abia, one of such promising young producers who wishes to leave his footprints in the entertainment industry.


Excerpts:
ST: Can we get to know you?
Melvin Abia
MA: My real name is Melvin Abia AKA MLV DRUMZ. I come from Cross River State. I am a 500 Level student of urban and regional planning in Unilag and I'm the C.E.O of Luboifresh and Studio 45 music recording studio

ST: How long have you been a producer?
MA: I started out 2005 but professionally, I really got into it in 2009.

ST: How profitable has it been?
MA: *smiles* It's fair; I'm grateful to God. I'm upcoming and yet to stake my claim amongst the best in the industry but it is profitable.

ST: Who have you worked with?
MA: Renowned artists like Mr Kool, Henry Knight and Baba Dee. I've also worked with a lot of upcoming artist with great potentials. To list a few: ZinoBeno, Krispyboi, Ezytune, Culkid, Josef, Xtobel.

ST: Who do you hope to work with?
MA: Wow, that's a long list. At the moment though, I would really love to work with Wande Coal, Sinzu and D'Banj.

ST: If someone like D'Banj comes into your studio, do you think you can make him a hit song?

MA: Definitely, that's going to happen soon
ST: Which producers do you look up to?
MA: Will.I.Am, Pharell, Timberland and Boi1da.
ST: So far, what have your biggest challenges been?

MA: Creating a balance between managing my education and my studio.

ST: Do you also sing or rap?
MA: I can sing. I do write and compose songs for a lot of artist. *laughs* I didn't like the way I sounded when I tried rapping.

ST: What are your dreams?
MA: To be a successful music producer, one that is recognised globally.

ST: Do you have any plans to drop one or two songs like other producers?

MA: Yes, I do. Come October 1st, we plan to release a track off the forthcoming Luboi mixtape. The track is titled 'Control Africa'.

ST: What is your take on the Nigeria Music industry?

MA: Nigerian music is now being recognised worldwide, but, believe me, as a producer, I still feel we have a long way to go. By God's grace, my team and I will take our beloved country there.

No comments:

Post a Comment